I was called Monday afternoon because M had a slight fever. Okayyy... We went home and, as I blogged earlier, I made the decision to keep both boys home on Tuesday. I kept M on regular Calpol (Tylenol) and he seemed... fine. On Wednesday I dropped the boys off to nursery and headed to an uber swanky private hospital for an intensive diabetes doctor. (They have doctors here who trained at Joslin! Joslin! In the diabetes world that is like really spectacular... worth bragging rights... impressive.) But Dear God they are comprehensive. I was in line to have my spleen 4-d "real time" photographed- just kidding, but they ARE thorough- when nursery called. M's fever was 39 (102.2) and I had to get. him. right. now. I got worried and J was too. I think you should take him to the doctor, he said. So at 11:46 we jumped into a cab to our local doctor who closes at noon and I breathlessly rushed in the door at 12:01 and panted, Is the doctor still here? He has a fever! After a quick chat off to the hospital we went- totally ushered and quarantined the whole time because of M's fever, and even I was starting to fear the ubiquitous swine flu. Poor M got bloods taken and a whole host of other drama ensued, but the doctor was pretty sure it was just a kidney/bladder infection because a) they're more common in toddler boys b) it is hot and he might be dehydrated which can cause them c) they cause high fevers and d) M hasn't eaten, peed much or drunk much. And he has said "Bum hurts" a lot but I thought it was because he had a slight diaper rash, but with the doctor he said it and grabbed his penis. (As my brother said, Um I think you need to teach him the difference between his bum and his... But that is J's job!) So long story short (?) (probably too late for that) we got labs back, no swine flu, definitely a mega infection, told to collect urine (tough when your kid is in nappies, except I told M the doctor needed his wee and he sat on the potty and promptly peed. Time to potty train I guess?), on massive antibiotics, up all night the next night but about 3am seemed fever had cleared and everything was meding. Breathe. Sigh. Exhale. Scary.
So the boys have been home. I got back to the doc for my spleen scan. All good on the diabetes front for me.
Trying to get everyone in full form- we are off on a cruise on SUNDAY to Malaysia and Thailand. Good God I have crap timing.
What would I do without drama in my life, though... really?
My sweet baby sleeping...
It's blue in the morning....
No comments:
Post a Comment