Monday, 24 August 2009

Penang

Yesterday we found a fantastic Kid's Club on the ship (see the pictures from Set sail) where we happily dropped the boys off for an hour. J got a haircut, I got a pedicure and then we got to browse around kid-free... gasp! Amazing! The boys were in super happy moods when we got them- the staff had been fantastic and they didn’t want to leave! According to the girls they had also managed to form a small “entourage” which I didn’t quite understand until later at dinner a group of about 8 middle aged children screamed “It’s Martin! It’s Daniel!” and came up and hugged the boys when we saw them at the restaurant.

Monday morning wasn’t quite as fun as the boys were “acting up” yet so many people on board seemed to think they were so cute so they tended to “egg” them on. They had a massive "time-out" but things only slightly improved...

We got to Penang at noon but decided to let the boys have lunch and rest before heading out. It was pouring outside anyway. We eventually woke them up early (big mistake!) and because the port in Penang is being renovated, the cruise ship stopped in the middle of the ocean and we had to take a very rocky tiny boat to the land. That stupid thing was bumping and jolting just at the dock and I was starting to think I would not make it (I get sooo boat sick). I practically had to throw the boys to the men inside so I could hold on to the railings myself to climb onboard. The kicker came when a man in a wheel chair was “carried” across onto the boat- all steps, no ramps, the boat jerking up and down at least 1 ½ feet. I covered my eyes but peeked a few times- it is funny (funny weird, not funny ha-ha) to live in places without laws about wheelchair access and ramps, strict health and safety procedures and risk assessment.

It was still pouring in Penang so we hired a taxi and saw some sights. We had decided not to do the “beach thing” on this trip because our time in the locations was not very long and we would rather sightsee, so I wasn’t too disappointed about the rain. Penang is a UNESCO World Heritage city and they had some amazing Buddhist temples. I have not seen a whole lot of Buddhist temples in my life, but I soon realized we were truly babes in the woods when we walked up the corridor to one and there were beggars lining the sides. One guy really wanted our attention and kept shaking his change cup loudly. M has never seen a beggar before and he thought this was funny so he ran right up to the guy, grabbed his cup, and started shaking it for himself. Oops. Once inside we saw a statue of Buddha and D (who had taken the cabbie’s umbrella) started shouting, That’s an ugly monster and I am going to go after it!!, while waving the umbrella at Buddha like a sword.

Yes, time to go.

We saw some other cool things- a sleeping Buddha in another temple (where J and I paid 50 Ringgit cents to hear our Buddhist fortune... odd, I know. The only noted thing that came out of mine was it said I have a hard time getting rich right now- duh... the whole joblessness thing would explain that- and one sentence saying I would have a baby girl. Ugh. Too tired for another pregnancy), a Toy Museum, a Butterfly farm and did some shopping. Being in Malaysia in some ways reminded me of Peru- a country colonized for many years, a lot of natural beauty, and a lot of poverty. Our driver was a bit manic behind the wheel and I thought about the trip J and I took to Peru and being in manic taxis and how now we were travelling once again, this time with our kids. Poignant. But I wasn’t sure whether to say my Hail Mary’s, a Buddhist chant or pray to Allah (Malaysia is a Muslim country by definition). Being in another part of the world makes you realize what a small percentage of the global population grew up like you did, shares the beliefs that your country holds onto, and possesses the value system you consider to be best.

Anyway... back to the ship for rest. Love the sound of the ocean at night. Soooooo zen. Soooooo therapeutic. Love it.


Picture time...
At the kid pool for an after breakfast swim


M won't go in... still traumatized by the bath jet episode...












Temple time







We didn't need to cover our knees for these ones, but still had to be barefoot
















At the toy museum





All these cool Asian Barbies I never had as a kid

For my sister, who loves this movie:



Butterfly and creepy crawlie farm




These millipedes were sooooo nasty.

J is clearly the photographer here...







Yuck






Oh no! They can fly???




I loved the amber jewelry...



J tried to scare me with the spiders from Malaysia...


Another night sky






























No comments:

Post a Comment