Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Phuket

The day started early... we reached Phuket during breakfast, disembarked- no small boat this time!- and headed out. The day in a nut shell: found a lovely driver, went to many sights- the most beautiful jewellery and craft shop I have ever seen; handiworks, gemstones, silks, etc. Boys went kind of nuts but J bought me amazing earrings to match the pearl necklace he bought me when I got my MBA! The Thai people were so kind to us and I was amazed how “at home” I felt there... very safe, very calm... it was fantastic. I want to go back.

Saw elephants, monkeys, and McDonald’s! The pictures and videos speak for themselves.




Early morning, coming into Thailand

Watching the buses roll in at the port

D hearts Corn Flakes






Off the boat!



Great store...




Feeding elephants... yes, I know the way the monkeys and elephants are treated is bad, and the Thai government is introducing stricter laws about keeping animals, etc. particularly in the city to get tourists to pay for pictures with them. And the behavior of the monkeys really kind of freaked me out, and I am looking up organizations that help make sure animals are treated humanely in this part of the world. But yes, we partook in these activities and spent money there, effectively making the problem worse. :(


















This monkey was very aggressive. (Yes, I realize he is on a leash- I'd be aggressive too!) M waved to him and he struck out at M and grabbed his hand. This did NOTHING for my fear of animals... and what is it with us and monkeys? The show operator seemed to get a little worried and people kept asking us if we were okay. M was freaked out but I said we were fine- I didn't want the monkey to get beaten or something.



My monkeys












Heading back to the boat







Sailing away from Thailand









Video time- the monkey show... watch M run away in the beginning!



Feeding the elephant. Hear M cry in the background!

No comments:

Post a Comment