Friday, 4 June 2010

Get on the Train

And here’s where I admit to failure.

This weekend I had high hopes of potty training M. He is 3 and a few weeks so it is definitely time. Since the boys are off on Fridays for our “Fun Friday” and since we just came back from holiday and are headed out again at the end of the month, I thought it would be fine to have a quiet weekend where we stay at home, do fun activities, and learn to put all of our pee in the potty. We potty trained D during the Christmas holiday after he turned 3 in September. It was super boring and annoying to stay home, but he was accident free in 3 days and it was great to finally get it done. D was such a late bloomer and M is so much more knowledgeable about the toilet I was sure this was our golden weekend. We would do cooking projects, painting, read stories….

The plan was foolproof!

Surely!

It’s now 10:32 on Friday morning and I have given up. In just 3 hours he has had 4 accidents (I think he was doing it on purpose, honestly!). I sat him on the potty every hour and he screamed and howled and moaned. Then promptly got up and pissed on the playroom floor. Dear God, where did he get this mastery of manipulation from? I persevered (yeah, I know, for a really long time) but M kept winning. The kicker was when he took his toy mop and tried to clean up the pee himself. (And let’s just say that is his second toy mop- he put the first one in the actual toilet!)

Issues?

I started feeling ill at the thought of what he would do with his own shit, so I packed up a diaper bag and fished out taxi, lunch and entrance fare for Go Go Bambini.

That’s it. I’m done. No more. Cannot handle it.

I swear M gave me a triumphant, smug, victorious smile when I conceded and put his Pull Up back on. “You know, you can still use the toilet even if you are wearing a Pull Up.”

“Ahhh… no thanks.”

Yikes.

When I did my MBA I learned the importance of delegating efficiently. Any good manager needs to hand out the duties which he/she for whatever reason cannot perform. So this task is now effectively being handed over to my Mom, who is like the Baby/Child Whisperer.

Mom- I hope you have carpet cleaner stockpiled for the summer!

Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment