His eyesight is still pretty poor and months ago we had the choice to drop his good eye every day to dilate it and train his other, or to patch it. We tried patching because I thought drops sounded extreme, but he HATED the patch so we went with Option B. Unfortunately that hasn't been successful so after yet another visit to Texas Childrens' Pediatric Eye Clinic the doctor told us we had to patch for 6 hours a day. Whether or not this will make any difference I have no idea. But D has done well. The first couple of days were a lot of headache (especially now that it is hotter and he gets sweaty!) but he has overcome it. He starts at 6:30 every morning and gets to take it off at school at 12:30. His friends, teacher and the staff at nursery have all been super supportive, so I am uber grateful. I only hope he doesn't ask his poor teacher a bazillion times, Is it 12:30 yet? (which he does to me on the weekends.)
Saturday, 21 April 2012
Patch
D has been such a champ lately.
His eyesight is still pretty poor and months ago we had the choice to drop his good eye every day to dilate it and train his other, or to patch it. We tried patching because I thought drops sounded extreme, but he HATED the patch so we went with Option B. Unfortunately that hasn't been successful so after yet another visit to Texas Childrens' Pediatric Eye Clinic the doctor told us we had to patch for 6 hours a day. Whether or not this will make any difference I have no idea. But D has done well. The first couple of days were a lot of headache (especially now that it is hotter and he gets sweaty!) but he has overcome it. He starts at 6:30 every morning and gets to take it off at school at 12:30. His friends, teacher and the staff at nursery have all been super supportive, so I am uber grateful. I only hope he doesn't ask his poor teacher a bazillion times, Is it 12:30 yet? (which he does to me on the weekends.)
His eyesight is still pretty poor and months ago we had the choice to drop his good eye every day to dilate it and train his other, or to patch it. We tried patching because I thought drops sounded extreme, but he HATED the patch so we went with Option B. Unfortunately that hasn't been successful so after yet another visit to Texas Childrens' Pediatric Eye Clinic the doctor told us we had to patch for 6 hours a day. Whether or not this will make any difference I have no idea. But D has done well. The first couple of days were a lot of headache (especially now that it is hotter and he gets sweaty!) but he has overcome it. He starts at 6:30 every morning and gets to take it off at school at 12:30. His friends, teacher and the staff at nursery have all been super supportive, so I am uber grateful. I only hope he doesn't ask his poor teacher a bazillion times, Is it 12:30 yet? (which he does to me on the weekends.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor guy! We tried the drops with no success and the dilated eye freaked me out. Now Ben is patching 3-4 hours a day too. He hates the sticky ones so I have a foam one I thread onto his frames...I'll be happy to send you one if you want to try it! Good luck :) Here's hoping both boys get better results at their next visit.
ReplyDelete